Saturday, September 7, 2013

Bartavelle Logo








Loved working with my friend Suzanne Drexhage on the logo for her coffee and wine bar, Bartavelle,  last year. We are starting to discuss a website for her business, so the logo is on my mind. I had a great time playing with the typography. I used the familiar Extended Trade Gothic, but I hand-set that sucker with the version from my trusty encyclopedia of old typefaces. Why? It feels and looks like a human touched it, doesn't it?

This is one of the few times that I have felt like a project was destined for me. Bartavelle opened in the spot of the long-lived Cafe Fanny, where I worked at as a pipsqueak many years ago. It was where my history with the space, the people, and the world of Chez Panisse and Alice Waters began.

If you haven't tried Suzanne's porridge yet, run don't walk to Bartavelle in Berkeley. It will invade your dreams it's so dang good.

No comments:

Post a Comment